Vietnam allows citizens of 24 countries to enter Vietnam without a visa for a different period of time, most of them are members of ASEAN.
Countries are exempt from Vietnam visa
Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to enter Vietnam:
- those coming from Chile are exempted from Vietnam visa for up to 90 days on tourist purpose,
- those from Cambodia, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand are exempted from visa to Vietnam for up to 30 days,
- those from the Philippines are exempted from visa to Vietnam for up to 21 days,
- those from Brunei and Myanmar are exempted from visa to Vietnam for up to 14 days, and
- those from Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and UK (not applicable to BNO passport holders) are exempted for visa for up to 15 days in Vietnam if their arrival date is at least 30 days from exit date of their last stay in Vietnam with visa waiver.
Foreigners or Vietnamese with foreign passports who enter, exit and reside on Phu Quoc island will be exempted from Vietnam visa for a stay not exceeding 30 days. If foreigners entering an international border gate of Vietnam (regardless of air or sea) stay in transit area at that border gate, then transfer to Phu Quoc Island of Vietnam is also exempted from visa according to the law.
In addition, the Vietnamese residing overseas and foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese holding foreign passports will be exempt from visas for up to 5 years period.
Conditions for Vietnam visa exemption
For those coming from Chile, Cambodia, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Brunei and Myanmar, to get visa exemption, they only need to ensure that:
- their stay in Vietnam is within the exemption duration
- their passport is valid for at least 06 months following their date of entry into Vietnam
For those coming from Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Norway, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and UK, in addition to the above 02 conditions, they also need to ensure:
- Their date of arrival is at least 30 days from the exit date of their last stay in Vietnam with visa exemption.
For those eligible for 5 years visa exemption, they need to ensure they get a visa exemption certificate beforehand.
How to apply for Vietnam visa exemption?
Just make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months with 2 blank pages. After arriving in Vietnam, you present your passport to immigration procedures. Note, if you want to apply for a 5-year Vietnam visa, you will have to follow another process.
More about visa for Vietnam